Make a donation

Author Topic: Slight loss of coolant and small amount of white smoke when at full boost.  (Read 748 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
As the title suggests. I noticed my coolant slightly below the min mark (when cold) a couple months back. Topped up to the max line (having let the car cool for an hour, so maybe not 100% cold) and have driven maybe 700 miles since. Checked today when cold and its now maybe 5-10mm below the max line.

Also, coincidentally, after 15 mins warm up time today I gave the car a boot full and glanced in the rear view mirror to see some white/grey smoke behind me. Not a huge amount but visibly slightly obscuring the dark car behind me. A couple more high boost pulls reproduced the same.

Don't get me wrong, its not a huge amount of smoke at all but are these two things adding up to something to perhaps be investigating? Cars in at RTech in a few weeks for inlet clean and a service so ill mention this to them ahead of time. Any suggestions for some DIY checks before then?

Car is stage 1 boosting at around 21psi peak and pre cat removal. Anyone with a similar set up see a small amount of smoke with their foot planted?

p.s. no smoke at startup or during idle or normal driving, nor when revving in neutral, as far as I can see. Hoping I'm just over-thinking and I was just clearing a little crap out of the exhaust.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"